The Government of Flanders awards scholarships to outstanding students for Master programmes in Flanders and Brussels. The programme aims to promote Flanders and Brussels as a top study destination.
Applications will be accepted from all Flemish universities, Schools of Arts and the Antwerp Maritime Academy.
It is estimated that 30 international students can benefit from the Master Mind Scholarships 2019-2020.
Students cannot apply directly. Applications need to be submitted by the Flemish host institution.
KU Leuven / University of Leuven:
University of Antwerp:
Vrije Universiteit Brussel:
University colleges (Arts and Nautical Sciences):
Antwerp Maritime Academy:
Artesis Plantijn University College Antwerp:
Erasmus University College Brussels:
Karel de Grote University College:
LUCA School of Arts:
PXL University College:
University College Ghent:
- The applicant has to apply to take up a Master degree programme at a higher education institution or host institution(at any university) in Flanders .
- The applicant should have a high standard of academic performance and/or potential:
- The student has a Grade Point Average of 3.0 out of 4.0
- The student has a good knowledge of the English language
- The student has to be accepted by the Host institution to be able to receive the scholarship. Even if the Host institution’s decision to accept the student is taken after the selection of the Master Mind Scholarships programme, this criterion applies.
- All nationalities can apply. The previous degree obtained should be from a higher education institution located outside Flanders .
- All nationalities can apply. The previous degree obtained should be from a higher education institution located outside Flanders
- Student mobility during the master programme is allowed. However, at least half of the credits of the master programme must be obtained at the Flemish Host institution.
How to apply
Step 1: The applicant submits his/her application to the Host institution. Internal deadlines set by the Host institution may differ (see section 6. Timing)
Step 2: The Host institution accepts the application of the candidate.
Step 3: The Host institution starts the application procedure for the Master Mind scholarship by creating the candidate’s application file in the Mobility-Online tool.
Step 4: The applicant receives an email generated by the Mobility-Online tool notifying him/her of being preselected for a Master Mind scholarship.
Step 5: The applicant registers in the Mobility-Online tool and completes his/her application file in the Mobility-Online tool before the deadline.
Documents to be uploaded
- Passport photo
- International passport or national ID
- Transcript of records; if written in another language than Dutch, French or English, a certified translation must be enclosed.
- English language test results or Letter of exemption provided by the Host university
- Letter of motivation written in English
- Two letters of recommendation from professors of your (previous) Home university, University of Applied sciences, School of Arts or recent employer written in English.
- Copy of acquired diploma(s); if written in another language than Dutch, French or English, a certified translation must be enclosed.
- Three reasons of motivation for submission (at least 150 words) of the candidate’s application formulated in English by the Host institution; format: text box in the application form or a separate document.
Selection Committee will select the candidates based on the following criteria
- the quality of the applicant’s motivation (30 points);
- the applicant’s previous study results in the Transcript of records (30 points);
- the reasons for recommending the applicant in Recommendation letter 1 (10 points);
- the reasons for recommending the applicant in Recommendation letter 2 (10 points);
- the motivation for submission by the Host institution (10 points);
- the top talent profile of the applicant (10 points).
Application Starting Date : December 2018
Deadline for application at Host institution:
KU Leuven / University of Leuven
Deadline: 1st February 2019
University of Antwerp
Deadline: 15th February 2019
Deadline: Ist March 2019
Deadline: 15th February 2019
Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Deadline: 15 March 2019
The institutions of arts and Nautical Sciences are
- Antwerp Maritime Academy
- Plantijn University College Antwerp
- Erasmus University College Brussels
- Karel de Grote University College
- LUCA School of Arts
- PXL University College
- University College Ghent
The deadlines of these institutions can be seen from the pdf link or from their website
30th April 2019
Announcement of selection results
Start of mobility